Thursday, May 28, 2009

Living With A Mental Illness: One Person's Perspective

Our last post for Mental Health Awareness Month was written by guest blogger, Evan Silverman, a JFS volunteer who was featured in Schizophrenia Digest.

My name is Evan Silverman. I am 34 years old, grew up in Denver, and have worked at the Tattered Cover BookStore for more than 11 years. When I interviewed for my position at the bookstore, they asked me to describe myself in three words and I answered “fun, fair, and honest.” I feel those words still fit me today. However, I wish life was that simple. After many years of battling depression, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after graduating college in 1996. Then my diagnosis changed to schizophrenia in 1999, which changed my life in many ways.

Along my journey of learning about my illness and how to cope with it, I have developed and been guided by some key ideas and experiences:

I believe that G-d exists and I rely on G-d for direction. I also think that G-d has given us free will which, among other things, means we have some control over time and money.

One positive way to use time is to cultivate love. This for me has occurred as a natural part of being an active member of a healthy community. Jewish Family Service fits in that category. I have found a wonderful volunteer opportunity through JFS. I am a cultural tutor for a young man from East Africa who receives Refugee Mental Health services from JFS. I meet with him weekly and take him on errands, help him with things he wants to learn such as how to write thank you notes, and basically fill in the holes with what others in his life can’t do. I am learning quite a bit, including how to be in the moment and focus on how I can help him. I feel better when I leave and it has been very interesting to learn about another country’s culture.

The Tattered Cover Bookstore, where I work, serves as a healthy community for me as well. Working there has taught me a lot of great lessons that apply not only to my job, but to life in general. I have learned great customer service, how to treat people the way they deserve to be treated, and the value of listening. I believe we are imperfect beings, but we can learn a lot if we listen, gain perspective, and live meaningful lives.

In addition, I recently joined the board of Mental Health America of Colorado and am enjoying serving the community in this meaningful way. In each group I am motivated as part of something bigger than myself rather than by fear or greed. I believe that when we make positive choices within a healthy community, we transform that community, and by extension we transform the world in general. This in turn further changes us.

Another positive use of time is to put yourself in a situation which allows you to be in the moment. Setting aside time to meditate is helpful for many people. Although it is impossible to be in the moment all the time, when one is in the moment with another person, you show respect.

Money is valuable as well. When we support a local charity we improve the community in which we live. The Jewish concept of tzedakah contains the idea that regardless of how little money one has, there is always at least a small amount that can be donated.

By cultivating love, playing an active role in healthy communities, living in the moment, using our assets wisely, and having a positive attitude, the chances are that one will move in a positive general direction over the course of one’s life. In addition, living in this way improves the biggest human community of all—mankind.

Some advice I have for others battling a mental illness:

  • Educate yourself about your illness – go online and find out as much as possible.
  • Find a community that works for you – that’s bigger than yourself – such as a church or synagogue or JFS. I believe that a healthy community values everyone for their uniqueness and there is a sufficient amount of love for everyone.

  • Find someone you trust such as a sponsor or mentor and people to help you with your weaknesses, if necessary. For example, a woman comes to my apartment once/week to help me stay organized. I am also fortunate to have a caring network of support from Karis Community.

  • Set manageable goals to improve your mental health.

  • Find love – it is so powerful!

--Evan Silverman

Photo courtesy of Nathan Armes and Magpie Media, Inc.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Evan - you are a true hero. You are coping with your own struggles by reaching out and giving to so many other people. I so much enjoyed reading about all that you do - you are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing this.

Unknown said...

Evan, I so admire your ability to recognize and attend to the aspects of life that are most lasting and important. Thanks for sharing your story!

Claire Young said...

Hi, Evan. You are so inspirational. You give so much to others and, in turn, are rewarded by the people you are helping. Thanks so much for sharing this with me. Again, as always, I admire you and wish you continued success!

Anonymous said...

Evan, you encourage me with each new creative endeavor. You remind me that life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' I gladly count you as a friend.

Michael said...

Dear Evan,

Thank you for inviting me to read your blog. You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself: open, vulnerable, and very caring.

It is a privilege to have you as a friend.

All the best,

Michael

Unknown said...

Evan, Hi its Amanda from MHAC, I always love reading your work, its so real. You continue to amaze me, we are lucky to have you at MHAC.

Lisa & Joel Bershok said...

Evan,

As always, I find your words and thoughts not only inspirational and insightful, but also intellectually provoking. Your views on community, our responsibility to examine how we interact and give back to that community, and how we create a sense of wellness in ourselves as we go through this process is rarely elaborated on quite so eloquently. You definitely started some good conversations in our household around these issues! Hopefully others who read your blog will be able to hear the message of personal wellness. Although we live in an era of electronic communities, we cannot forget the impact of how connecting with other human beings can enrich and fulfill our lives. I feel like your article was able to convey that.

Susan Smolinski said...

Dear Evan: I am so fortunate to know and work with you. Your kindness, compassion, and sense of humor are so wonderful. Congratulations on your most recent endeavor! As someone who also lives with mental illness, I admire you so much for being open about this aspect of your life. I think this is so important for blasting stereotypes apart. I also believe- in my life anyway- that what I strive to overcome on a daily basis is an essential part of who I am. My condition has shaped me in many ways- so I share that part of my story- which includes manifesting it in my art- with others. Thank you for sharing your story. You help to give me the courage to go forth.

Pamela said...

Evan,
Your writing is an abundance of nutrition for the soul. Thank you for posting this. You're really fabu!

Jennifer Anderton said...

Evan-
Once again you show how to be a leader with compassion with a voice that speaks to everyone, yet has a unique message for everyone.

Sheryl said...

Evan - reading your blog at this point in time is likely no accident. In dealing with my own family's struggles with mental health issues recently, your words and your message give me hope and encouragement at a time when I need it greatly. Thank you so much for sharing your story.