Friday, September 18, 2009

Staff Reflections on Rosh Hashanah

This morning, Dawn Richard, JFS development director, sent a very touching email to staff, board, and supporters. We want to share her message with you...

Today is Erev Rosh Hashanah, the start of a New Year. We look back and we look forward. Trying to become better people. Honoring our world and those around us.

This morning when I walked into the JFS building I looked straight ahead and locked eyes with a young single mother sitting on one of the benches in our lobby with her 1 year old daughter. The fear in her eyes could be felt, and I’m not one for the dramatic. I said, “Hello” and made my way to my office to start my day.

Yet their faces stuck. I couldn’t help myself. I went back downstairs and sat next to the scared mother and asked her if she would share her story with me and how she came to be waiting for our intake counselor at the Weinberg Food Pantry. She told me she is unemployed, a single mother, and she was lucky that she had a friend who told her about JFS. She needs help and she is scared. She is hoping we can help her with food and other safety net services to help her get back on her feet. We will. That is what we do. That is what JFS does.

I know the world has changed dramatically for most of us this past year. Thanks to all of you for the support you continue to give in our community. That is what you can continue to do. I am proud and honored to continue to provide whatever help I can through Jewish Family Service and to work with you, our dedicated leadership and supporters. Thank you and L’Shana Tova, a sweet and healthy year to all.
-Dawn Richard

Upon receiving Dawn's email, many other staff members responded including Arnie Kover, director of disability services. Here is his message...

I too have similar thoughts today as I read a thank you letter from one of our TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families) clients who, along with her husband and two daughters are homeless. She and her husband are both here receiving work experience services at SHALOM, with the goal of being employed in the near future. The letter she and her husband wrote is to a long-time friend and supporter of our agency, who donated 4 tickets to each of two preseason Bronco games. We gave 4 tickets to one of the games to these 2 clients and their kids.

To quote just one part of the letter, “We really enjoyed ourselves in a time of our life when we are struggling in our everyday life, so it was time taken away from our thoughts of struggle. We can not thank you enough for the relief and the fun we had at the game.”

I think this letter says it all…. about how we impact the lives of so many on a daily basis. At this time of year and every day I reflect on my life, how I have treated others and my many blessings, but I am also grateful, every day, for the opportunity, through our work, to serve families like the one who wrote this letter. L’Shana Tova, meaning, have a sweet new year, to all of our board and supporters. -Arnie Kover

No comments: