Friday, April 16, 2010

Job Search Program at JFS Shows Positive Results



While the Colorado unemployment rate is still at 7.7% (as of February), we at JFS are doing our part to lower that number! The Employment Resource Alliance (ERA) is a job search and counseling program of JFS that started last September. The ERA conducts one-on-one training to individuals in the areas of goal setting, developing leads, interviewing, writing resumes, networking, and accessing community employment resources.

The ERA is available for Denver residents only and whose household income is not more than 200% of poverty level. This amount varies, depending on the number of family members. The program is made possible through a Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The project is in partnership with Colorado Women’s Employment and Education (CWEE) and Mi Casa in Denver.

Below is a letter from a woman who recently used the ERA to find a job:

Julie and Eileen,

After I received help from JFS in creating my resume I headed to the Adams County Workforce to use their computers, faxes and resources along with the resources obtained at JFS. Every day I would spend hours researching many job sites, faxing and emailing countless resumes with no results.

After two weeks of sending out resumes it was like God answering all my prayers. I had more emails and phone calls for interviews than I ever imagined. Pardon the pun, for the first time in a lone time I was in the driver’s seat able to pick which lane I wanted. Along with a little positive thinking allowed only because of JFS's financial assistance which eased my stress and allowed me to concentrate on the job search was the accomplished.

I have found a job at Excel Driver Services as an instructor and I love it! The people are great and the students are very motivated to learn. I cannot thank you and Jewish Family Service for all you have done. I could not have made it through this tough time of need without you. I shall not forget this! The person responsible for sending me to JFS is Sara Leeper. She and I attend the same church, however I think she also works for JFS in some form or another.

With much gratitude,

Diana

To date, the ERA has placed 38 people in various jobs around the metro area. If you would like more information about this program, please contact Julie Rubsam at (303) 597.5000 x385.

No comments: