Friday, May 21, 2010

One Year Later: An Update on Evan Silverman


MHAC board member, Dyana Z. Furmansky, Evan Silverman, and Alaina Green at the MHAC Volunteer Appreciation Event in April

Last month, I (Alaina) attended the Mental Health America of Colorado (MHAC) volunteer appreciation event because I served on a committee for the organization and I wanted to support my friend, Evan Silverman, who was getting an award. Evan serves on the MHAC board and won an award at the volunteer appreciation event. In honor of Mental Health Awareness Month, I asked him to update our readers since last year's (very popular) blog post!

The last year has been a good one. I have continued to do some volunteer work with Jewish Family Service. I spent one morning with JFS canning potatoes at the canning facility attached to the Church of Latter Day Saints in Aurora. I was also on the committee to help with the Jewish Disabilities Network Awareness day as well. I hope to continue participating with JFS.

My work at the Tattered Cover has continued. I am still at 34 hours per week and I believe that every item that is purchased at the Tattered Cover is a positive event in the world. I am very happy that the Tattered Cover had a presence at JFS's Executive Luncheon.

My time on the board of Mental Health America of Colorado (MHAC) has been positive as well. I am on the education committee. More specifically I have been working on improving and changing the Speaker's Bureau. I led 2 “work groups” where I brought together people from different parts of my life to offer their perspectives and insights about the Speaker's Bureau. One person in attendance was Alaina Green from JFS. Partly as a result of my work on the board I was just honored with the Education Volunteer of 2009 award from MHAC. I was also nominated for a “Heroes in the Fight” award put out by Eli Lilly and The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

One highlight of my year was going on a meditation retreat at the Shambala Mountain Center. The staff and volunteers at the center are expected to regularly do work rotations. It was unclear to me whether people who paid for programming like myself should participate in this way as well. I asked if I might help out and they decided I could do the dishes for a bit. The next day I was a tad low on gasoline and asked if I could buy some. One staff member said that since I helped out with the dishes the night before they would be happy to sell me some gasoline. It felt to me like karma. Since I have returned from the retreat I have been meditating pretty much every day. I usually spend 5 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes on Shabbat.

I must say I remain very hopeful and excited about the future! I plan on remaining active in my communities and want to continue making a difference. I also am still hoping to be as happy as possible, which I believe I will achieve by continuing to live by my philosophies about God. I believe God exists and is powerful; everything is connected, but we don't know how everything connects; it is hard to predict the future; and I rely on God.
-Evan Silverman

Thank you, Evan for writing this post to update us on your life! We appreciate all you do for JFS and the mental health community.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful...thanks Alaina and Kari, and of course, Evan!

Jeff Lee said...

It's my honor & privilege to work with Evan at the Tattered Cover. Evan wrote that each item purchased at the TC is a positive event in the world. I'd also add that EACH day that Evan shares with us is a positive event for the world -- and something we all need. Thank you Evan!

bettyk said...

Evan's positive attitude shines in his 'update' just as it does in his work at the Tattered Cover. Customers frequently comment on his helpfulness and patient service. We're fortunate to work with him.

Unknown said...

Evan, you're the best! Great to hear about your award and your continued activities helping others. Always impressed when you share your life with me. Thanks,
Kathy Urig
Tattered Cover

Marlin said...

Congratulations, Evan, on this wonderful award! You are so worthy.
We send our best to you.

Love,
Marlin and Edward Barad

Unknown said...

Congratulations Evan! I always enjoyed working with you at the Tattered and it is a joy to read about your ongoing activities as well as your faith in God. Never let go of your positive attitude and the welcoming smile you share with all those you meet!

Sylvia Canty (formerly Wallin) :-)