Friday, August 21, 2009

We Get Mail! One Volunteer's Impact as a Para-Chaplain

Below is a letter from one of JFS's new volunteer para-chaplains, Lori Stine, who visits one of our Senior Solutions clients who lives in a nursing home. This is a letter she wrote to Donna Lutz, Nursing Home Outreach coordinator, and Nancy Benyamin, director of volunteer services. This is one of many examples of the difference one person can make in a family's life...

Dear Donna and Nancy,

Hello! I wanted to share with you both that I had a great visit with Shirley Barocas Wednesday morning at ManorCare. Although I had intended to spend 1 - 1 and 1/2 hours with her, I ended up being there almost 2 and 1/2 hours! We chatted, I played my guitar, and sang the songs that Donna taught me. I sat with her while she ate lunch, and then we sat outside for a bit. As fortune would have it, her daughter, Melanie, and two grandchildren who visit every spring from out of state walked into Shirley's room just as I was saying my goodbyes. It was truly delightful to meet Melanie, who struck me as being a very special and wonderful woman. We chatted for a few minutes while her daughters socialized with their bubbe (grandma). We also exchanged phone numbers and email addresses.

Well, yesterday I got a wonderful email from Melanie, and I'd like to share part of it with you:

Lori,
Thank you so much for singing to my mom. I have not seen her look that happy in years about anything other then my girls. Even little Ariel noticed how happy and talkative she was after your visit. Mom has been sinking deeper and deeper into isolation. It is hard with me living across the country. I send in special meals each week and have an extra nurse advocate that helps with the doctors and home when necessary. I also provide a nurse aide that come in 2 days a week for 2 hours but it is still a very lonely world especially since she does not manage the phone well now either. But your visit singing Jewish songs was incredible.

--Melanie

I'm sure that most of the time, para chaplains don't get direct feedback about the positive effects of their visits. I felt tremendously blessed to get such positive feedback after just one visit! Music is a very powerful healer, and I look forward to sharing more of it with Shirley and, in time, with others at ManorCare.

Thank you both for training me so that I could have the amazingly rewarding experience I had this week!
--Lori

For more information about volunteer opportunities, please contact Nancy Benyamin at (303) 597.5000 x369.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog - very touching - nice job!