Friday, November 6, 2009

Provide Hope for Those in Need!

Our community counts on us to help those among us who have fallen on hard times. This year, your support is especially important to help people going hungry, living with a disability, seeking mental health guidance, and combating loneliness but not wanting to give up independence.

See how your support changes lives...

Sarah Sankey, Weinberg Food Pantry
"A friend told me about the Weinberg Food Pantry at Jewish Family Service. She said, 'You are pinching pennies - you need help.' And there was JFS with open arms. JFS helps me make it through the month and gives me more nutritional food like fruits and vegetables. I've been raising my 10-year-old granddaughter since she was three months old. God donated me to help her. Thank God to people who donate to Jewish Family Service - they help me and others!"

Laurie Greene, JFS Group Home
"I moved into the JFS Group Home when I was 38 years old - that was 25 years ago! I've lived there longer than any of the other residents. I also do mailing work at SHALOM Denver. I've been there for 10 years now! And I volunteer in the JFS office every Friday doing shredding and I pick up the Group Home mail while I'm there. I like that I finally have my own room after the Group Home remodel a couple years ago, and that we're all like a big family. We eat together every night, do lots of fun activities, and have surprise outings. Last night we got to go out to dinner!"

Mary Preston, JFS Counseling Center
"My daughter passed away in February at the age of 46 from a medical complication after surgery. I was so distraught and didn't know where to turn for help. One night I got out the phone book and left messages at about 10 different counseling places. Jewish Family Service was one of the only ones that called me back - and the only one that didn't simply ask questions about my insurance and how I would pay for counseling. I was very impressed with JFS, but since I'm Catholic, I asked if I needed to be Jewish to get services. I was relieved when they said, 'no.' JFS truly has changed my life. I never went to therapy before and Elena Glekas, my counselor, works miracles! After weekly sessions for three to four months, I feel like a different person. One of my other daughters died in 1977 at the age of 12 and I never grieved for her. Elena helped me heal from both deaths and improve my relationships with my remaining six children. Elena is one of the greatest gifts God ever gave me!"

"Sam Fisher," JFS Senior Solutions
"I recently moved from West Palm Beach, Florida to Allied Jewish Apartments in Denver. My son and family live in Boulder. We learned about Jewish Family Service through a cousin in California and made an appointment with Mirella in the JFS Senior Solutions department. Jewish Family Service assists me in many ways. They have made me feel comfortable as I adjust to my home in Denver and help me socially, as well. It's been great having a qualified social worker to come and review my problems with me and they have recently assigned a Friendly Visitor volunteer to come keep me company one day a week. JFS is a wonderful organization that is only interested in helping people. Thank you for the help that you have given me."

These are just four of the 22,000 lives JFS touched last year. We have comforted people in the Denver area for 137 years - through economic, personal, and family crises. Please help us continue this tradition of improving lives and rebuilding hope by making a contribution today!



No comments: